Saturday, June 27, 2020

Etsy Weekends - Elephants on Parade

Elephants are my favorite animal. At Christmas this year I bought a carved elephant that came from Nigeria, and she made me repeat a little mantra before she let me buy it, which I have of course forgotten in the time since. It was something along the lines of "Together, Today, Tomorrow." Yeah it was really simple, very powerful at the time, and now I can't remember it. My brain is a sieve. Luckily the internet is here to save me with an inspiring quote from Chimamanda Adichie, who is a Nigerian author, and a powerful voice for our time.

"If I were not African, I wonder whether it would be clear to me that Africa is a place where the people do not need limp gifts of fish but sturdy fishing rods and fair access to the pond. I wonder whether I would realize that while African nations have a failure of leadership, they also have dynamic people with agency and voices."

All that being said, here's a really pretty carved elephant, without a half-remembered origin story.
Vintage Home Decor  Wooden SMALL Elephant  Mid Century  50s image 0
Vintage Carved Elephant from Vintage Shop of Lucy


No comments:

Post a Comment