Sunday, August 23, 2020

Smokey Times

 Hello!

There are fires in the west, and the smoke has settled in the valley. The last few days our town has been a red or orange dot, and you can feel it in your lungs. This air is unhealthy for at-risk people, and not much fun for folks who aren't at-risk. Matt and I have been trying to keep the windows closed, and we've been riding the Peloton more instead of walking outdoors. The garden doesn't seem to be too bothered - although the light is heavily filtered through the smoke, things are growing and coming ripe! I didn't manage to get half the plans I had for the garden put in place this year, so I wasn't able to plant beets or carrots, but the peppers are going nuts, as are the tomatillos. We've picked a few batches of green beans now, and some of the onions are starting to flower and tip over. My big oxheart tomatoes are also covered in fruit which are slowly turning colors. I picked a German Red Strawberry this week that has to be close to a pound in weight. Huge, huge fruit! 

Our evenings this week were filled with Japanese language homework - hoo boy it goes fast! And I have such a hard time hearing the words. I struggle understanding the English words I hear - so trying to hear and recognize and translate another language is really difficult. Luckily, Matt is really good at that - so between the two of us, with me reading, and him verbally communicating, we should be golden for our next visit to Japan - or Nihon.   :)

Kanji - Nihon no Sekai Facts

I did manage to get out my knitting needles this week! I've been wandering into the yarn room and squishing yarn, thinking, and dreaming. I had a bag of leftover yarns that I had been thinking about turning into another hat and scarf set, so I brought that downstairs and cast on Friday afternoon. :) I also brought some other yarn downstairs, and can't wait to turn that into hats too! It's hat knitting weather. 

Hope you all have a wonderful week, and we'll chat next Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment