Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Tuesday Tip - Eating Healthy

So we all know that you need to eat a rainbow right? Well, today Pam is going to talk about eating something orange!

Last week a friend gave me a huge squash. I've never done much with squash, so I was surprised to find that it is amazing! I'm going to save the seeds to grow some next year. She bought them from a company in Missouri that sells organic and historic seeds. Anyway after I cooked it the shell just peeled away from the squash. There wasn't a lot of scooping necessary just put it in big bowls and then I put some in freezer bags. I still have several regular squash to cook. I read an article a few weeks ago about how orange food is good for you and since my coworker broke my heart telling me that Cheetos don't count - I guess I'll have enough squash to last all winter!

Pam didn't do too much squash cooking when I was growing up, the veggies we ate the most of were peas, carrots, and corn. When I mentioned to Matt that Mom (Pam) had made a squash and I wanted to get the directions from her he was surprised that I didn't know how to cook them! I think I know what Matt will be cooking the next time he makes supper :)

There are a ton of great recipes out there for squash, but here is one of our favorite cooks, giving the lowdown on Butternut Squash Puree. Be sure and check out her other recipes while you are there, but if several hours go by while you sit and ogle food pictures...don't blame us!
Image Also courtesy of Pioneer Woman :)

No comments:

Post a Comment