Saturday, January 21, 2012

Blue and Purple Snowflake and Lace Handwarmer Scarf

I finally finished the Blue and Purple, Snowflake and Lace, Handwarmer Scarf. I started this scarf in 2007 after coming across a snowflake pattern intended for a hat. I loved it, but didn't like the hat, so I thought I would turn it into a nifty scarf! Immediately I came across some logistical issues. First, double stranded knitting isn't generally reversible. So, I had to conceal the backside. I did this by knitting the pattern twice, I started at the wide top, knit down all the way to three stitches, then knit back up the other side. To minimize my stitching efforts at the end I folded up the side and knit the cast on edge with my next row of knitting (Which was not the most fun.) Then I got bored...and it got set aside, so when I came back to it in 2008 I couldn't quite remember what I had done. A few tries and I eventually got both snowflake bottom portions knit.

Then came the lace. The lace itself was beautiful and perfect and came to me from the Interweave Press Lace book. Unfortunately, I had no idea how I was supposed to join the lace in the middle. This is what happens when you start a scarf with no plan! I could easily have done lace all the way across and finished with the snowflake patter again, but since both ends were already finished...and away it went into the closet once more. 2009 found the solution, I would make a triangle of lace surrounded by stockinette stitching, then I could join the stockinette with no issues! Of course, that lead to the issue of curling in the center. The scarf literally curls up on itself in the stockinette area! And again the scarf was deemed to life in the closet. It sat there until last weekend, when I pulled it out again, and in showing it to Matt received the praise I needed to move forward with the final details. The liners for the handwarmers. Now, 4 1/2 years after first being cast on, I give you the Blue and Purple, Snowflake and Lace, Handwarmer Scarf! It may not be exactly what I imagined all those years ago, but it is exactly what I was going for: Warm, Cute, and Multifunctional! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment