Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Rhubarb Cake

I planted rhubarb in the garden last week, and the lady who so graciously let me take a few roots of her plants also gave me fresh rhubarb to do some cooking with! I'm not a huge fan of mishy fruit pies (and let's be honest, I didn't have the ingredients or money to buy ingredients) so strawberry rhubarb pie was out of the question. I did an internet search and found a recipe for Rhubarb Cake...which I did have all the ingredients for! I didn't have high hopes, so I didn't take pictures of the whole process...but here's the end result!


I used my food processor to chop the rhubarb really small, then chopped about two stalks by hand. This gave me some bigger chunks (as seen in the picture) and smaller pieces that added flavor without adding mishy chunks or too much flavor. The bigger pieces give the cake a nice kick every few bites though, so I might do even more bigger chunks next time. Either way, it was a very nice introduction to baking with Rhubarb! :)

And of course, here's the recipe so you can all make this at home! :)
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups raw Rhubarb cut fine
1  cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup applesauce
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
Procedure:

In large mixing bowl cream sugars and butter, add egg and salt. Stir in applesauce, soda, vanilla, and flour. Add rhubarb. Pour in prepared 9x13x2-inch baking pan and sprinkle with 1/4 cup white sugar and 1 tsp. cinnamon. Bake at 375-degrees for 30 to 35 minutes. The cake is very moist and needs no frosting.

This recipe came from Rhubarb Info - this website is full of Rhubarb Recipes!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment