Thursday, September 12, 2013

Little Things

Ever have one of those days? You know the kind I'm talking about, where you've overdrawn your checking account the third time in as many months, your house is a mess of dishes and dirty laundry, maybe it's just hit you that you are three years from any attainable goal...and Aretha isn't helping. Nor is Adele, or Alicia Keys. (Let's just admit that you're too tired to leave the a's on iTunes.) Maybe you aren't even halfway through the day and you would just really love to curl up with a book (that isn't required reading for a class) some hot cocoa, or maybe your knitting, hot cocoa and a good movie. (The reading almost trumps the knitting, because you know you'll fall asleep before the movie is over, and you probably won't be paying enough attention to your pattern anyway!)

Well. That was my yesterday. About 2 pm. I'd been up since 5 am, and had no vision of bed until well past 10 pm. I don't have days like that very often, but I tell you what - it's awful hard to turn a day like that around. But I tried. I took my camera with me to the backyard. I watered my tomatoes, then ate some tomatoes, cut off more peas and put them in the composter, then sat under my most vile enemy tree (it sends suckers up all over the yard, lays down a vast layer of leaves in the fall, and sprays the lawn with some kind of terrible fuzz in the spring) and just looked up. The breeze was glorious, the sun was hot, but the air felt cool, and the sky looked beautiful between the blowing limbs and leaves. It may not have completely turned my day around, but it sure helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment