Tuesday, July 16, 2013

How to Make a Cake No One Wants to Eat.

I've made a few things from scratch over the years. Usually crisps, or pies, or Crazy Cake. But mostly, when I want a cake...I buy the boxed kind. It's just so easy! And it usually tastes good! Unfortunately, a few weeks ago I found myself craving cake...with no money...and no boxed cake already in my cupboard. The craving didn't go away, so I searched the internet to find a simple recipe that used ingredients I already had in the house. I found one too! So I made it. It wasn't great. I even took pictures to show you all. I was really proud of myself, until I ate the first piece.

I have been trying to decide if I should share it with you anyway, the pictures, the process, the recipe so you can avoid it...but I don't think I will. I've never been the kind of person to share when I fail...and I'm not the kind of person to show off something that isn't perfect. (Unless it's years later and now the failure has become funny) But I will assure you, my readers, of this: I will continue to make "from scratch" items that we as a society (or maybe just my family) have stopped making from scratch, and when they are good...I will share! :)

The frosting for the cake was about the best part. While the cake itself was dense and dry, the frosting was still somewhat drippy up to the last day. Microwaving a slice of cake prior to eating would make the frosting melt and drip down the sides...it was the only part that made the cake edible! (That and my voracity for all things cake related.) During my searching I came across this frosting recipe a lot, and have a plan for it in the future, because it tasted very similar to the frosting we used when I worked at Mrs. Fields. The very best use for that frosting: Peanut Butter Cookie Cups. Keep an eye out on here for when I make up those babies! Until then, here is the frosting recipe for you to use on anything that requires a yummy chocolate topping!


3 Cups Powdered Sugar
2/3 Cup Cocoa
1/2 Cup Butter
1 tsp Vanilla
1/3 Cup Milk

Sift the powdered sugar and cocoa together. Melt butter, and add to powdered sugar/cocoa mixture. Stir in vanilla. Slowly add milk until you get to your desired consistency. Add additional milk 1 tablespoon at a time if necessary (I didn't find it necessary, and almost wish I had used less milk!) Can be refrigerated for 2 days, or frozen for up to 3 months. Makes 2 cups, which is enough for two 8 or 9 inch round cake pans or one 9x13 (That's the size I made)

Mine came out a little lumpy, but you couldn't taste it on the cake. Probably because I remelted it every time I had a piece! :) Hopefully I'll have a better cake recipe to share soon! Until then...I guess we'll just eat things I can make from scratch...like cookies! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment